– 1 cup brown rice
– 1/2 cup Ulunthu (black gram dhal)
– 2 tbsp avval (rice flakes)
– 1 tbsp cooked brown rice
– Salt to taste
B. Ingredients to be added to the batter the next morning:
– 2 carrots (finely grated or blended)
– 2 pip garlic
– 1 red chili
(Blend the garlic and chili to form a paste and add to the finely grated/blended carrot mixture).
1. Soak the brown rice and black gram dhal together for 4-5 hours.
2. Soak rice flakes for 10 minutes, separately.
4. Place all the 3 ingredients in the blender with 1 tbsp of cooked brown rice. Add water until it is about 1-inch above the ingredients.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Blend until the batter is fine and smooth.
7. Leave the batter overnight to ferment.
8. Next morning, add the carrot mixture in Step B to the fermented batter and mix well.
9. Fry the thosai on a flat pan.
10. Savor it to the last bit!