The ingredients for the batter is the same as the thosai batter – the addition is the tomatoes.
A. Ingredients for the original batter:
– 1/2 cup Ulunthu (black gram dhal)
– 2 tbsp avval (rice flakes)
– 1 tbsp cooked brown rice
– Salt to taste
B. Ingredients to be added to the batter:
– 4 medium-sized tomatoes (chopped)
– 2 pip garlic
– 1 red chili
(Blend the tomatoes, garlic and chili to form a paste).
1. Soak the brown rice and black gram dhal together for 4-5 hours.
2. Soak rice flakes for 10 minutes, separately.
6. Blend until the batter is fine and smooth.
7. Leave the batter overnight to ferment. (Note: Don’t keep the batter too long at room temperature – pureed tomatoes can go bad if left too long at room temperature).
8. Fry the thosai on a flat pan.