One word to describe this cappuccino cake with mocha frosting —-> SCRUMPTIOUS! I’ve always wanted to bake coffee-based cake and finally this was the day – and it turned out so well – it became a hit! I would definitely bake this cake again. For the frosting, I decided to mix Cadbury milk chocolate with coffee – and the result —> an absolutely luscious cake.
Recipe as follows:
Ingredients for the cake:
- 250 gm butter, softened (I used Golden Churn packed butter)
- 250 gm light soft brown sugar
- 300 gm self-raising flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 100 gm almond, finely chopped (optional)
- 200 ml very strong coffee (mix 2 tbsp of instant coffee powder to 200 ml of hot water and mix and cool it)
Ingredients for the mocha frosting:
- 2 bars of 230 g Cadbury milk chocolate bar
- Half of the coffee mixture (as above) and add 1 more tsp of instant coffee powder to the coffee mixture
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Butter two 9-inch sandwich cake pans and dust the bottom of the pan with cocoa powder.
2. Beat butter and sugar together with electric beaters until pale and creamy. Add the eggs slowly and beat until well-mixed.
3. Next, fold in the flour and half of the coffee mixture. Then fold in the chopped almonds.
4. Pour the batter into the baking dishes and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
5. Pull out the cake from the oven and leave it to cool completely.
6. For the frosting: Melt chocolate in double broiler and mix in the remaining instant coffee mixture. Mix until well-blended. Once the mixture turns into a glaze-like consistency, turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
7. Remove the cake from the two pans. Use about half of the frosting to sandwich the two cakes together then spread the rest of the frosting over the top and the sides of the cake. Decorate with chopped almonds.
8. Dig into it!
you are a good baker dear, hope i can taste your pizzaa ria..
Thanks, dear. Looking forward to baking again 🙂