I woke up around 5 a.m. and unable to go back to sleep, I pondered on what would make the perfect breakfast on a rainy morning. The first thing that came up to my mind was cinnamon-crusted-baked-french-toast. Just the thought of it lured me to the kitchen and before I knew it the smell of freshly-baked-cinnamon-toast was wafting in the house. I love the smell of cinnamon! With the rays of sunlight sneaking past the window, I went back to bed with a stomach filled with the luscious french toast.
- 8 slices of bread, cut in cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Lightly butter a loaf pan. Line bottom of the pan with bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Make sure that the bread cubes are completely coated with the egg mixture. Then, dot with butter on top of the mixture.
- Refrigerate the mixture for about 1/2 hour to allow the bread to soak in the egg mixture.
- Combine remaining 2 tbsp of sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon powder and sprinkle over the top of the bread-egg-mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, until top is golden.
(Note that the photo above might not do justice to the luscious-goodness of the melt-in-the-mouth french toast. I am still honing my skills on food photography and realize I still have a long way to go).