I woke up today craving for my mother’s cooking. The dish that I look forward the most when I go back to my hometown is my mom’s tomato rice accompanied with her famous vegetarian sambal. Back in my own kitchen, I found a bag of luscious tomatoes waiting to be used and the menu for the day was laid out: tomato rice accompanied with tempe-anchovy-potato-sambal and stir-fried broccoli with garlic. That set my mood for the rest of the day 🙂 As the tomato rice was sitting in the cooker, a wonderful aroma filled every nook and corner of the house – the aroma that brought me back to my mother’s cooking. Comforting.
The tomato rice turned out fantastic. It can be a meal by itself. I found some recipes online and tweaked it to our taste and I must say my husband was impressed 😉 Herewith is the recipe:
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-inch stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamom
- 1 star anise
- Cashew nuts, a handful
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 screwpine leaves (wash and tear down its length and tie in a knot)
- Heat oil in a wok and saute onion, and ginger-garlic paste till fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes and season with salt. Cook till the tomatoes are soft. Then, blend coarsely. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a wok and fry mustard seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and star anise till fragrant.
- Add cashew nuts and fry till golden brown.
- Next, add the washed rice and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the blended ingredients and stir until everything is well combined.
- Transfer to rice cooker and add 3 cups of water and the screwpine leaves.
- Stir often to make sure everything is well blended.
geetha i will back in KL end of march.Since hideki is also down for some work…please arrange a reunion with some of our friends…would love to meet and catch up…but with 3 kids, it wont be easy but wouldnt want to miss it for the world. Miss food so much. I wanna try tis …yea i too love tomato rice…
I’m going to try this dear.
Hey Cath, let me know the dates. Will arrange for a get-together with all the kakis! Looking forward to meeting you and your kids 🙂
Hi there! After the vege orange cake I lost your blog and so glad to find yours again.