So good, so nutritious and it can be a meal replacement. Packed with fibre and vitamins, it’s a great way to start your day.
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Warm water
- 2 Cups bread/ all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups hi-protein whole wheat flour
- 1 Cup rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup multigrain mix
- 2 Tbsp flax seed (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Cup barely warm water
- Multigrain mix, for garnish
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup warm water. Add yeast and sugar and stir until it dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes for the mixture to bubble.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, multigrain mix and salt.
- Gradually add the water and mix until the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry and will not come together, add small amounts of water until it does. Conversely, if the dough is too sticky, add flour until it becomes workable.
- Knead the dough for ten minutes, or until elastic and smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and knead it. Allow it to proof for another 30 minutes before turning out the dough onto a clean surface.
- Shape the dough into a log or cylinder, trying to keep the dough an even thickness. Place the dough into a 9×5-inch loaf pan and sprinkle with multigrain mix.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and allow it to rise for another 30-40 minutes, or until it doubles in volume.
- When you are just about to put the loaf inside, reduce oven temperature to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and allow to cool down before slicing.