We buy lots of oranges in this household. Most of the time the skin is just discarded. When I stumbled upon a site which showcased homemade candles from orange peels, I was excited to give it a try. I am all out for natural and homemade stuffs!
(Taken from: http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/diy-orange-candles/)
You will need:
- A navel orange (they are easier to peel). The orange will be resting on the stem side, so find an orange with a stem that doesn’t protrude too much.
- a sharp knife
- vegetable oil
- Using a small, sharp knife cut around the orange – but only skin deep (without going into the flesh).
- Use your fingers to work the skin away from the orange. Be gentle, so you don’t rip the skin.
- Once it has been loosened, remove the skin – but leave the white stem-like piece intact. This will be the wick. Make sure the wick is dry.
- Fill with oil until it is about 1 cm from the top of the wick.
- Dunk the wick in the oil, so it is coated.