Hearty, wholesome and delicious. Love this recipe! It’s soft and fluffy and it contains 100% wholemeal flour with no white flour added. When toasted, the crust gives off a crispy edge – so irresistible that it’s impossible to stop after the first slice!
(Yields two sandwich loaf tins)
Step A: 17 hours pre-fermented sponge dough:
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 150g water
- 150g bread flour
- Add yeast, water and flour in sequence into a container (same container for storage as well).
- Mix with spatula till well combined.
- Cover and leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Keep inside refrigerator at least 17 hours before use.
- Use all the chilled sponge dough after the 17 hours.
- Note: It’s easier to make the sponge dough the evening before and keep it refrigerated overnight. The next morning, you can start using the sponge dough to bake the bread.
Step B: Main dough:
- 50g molasses sugar (or normal white sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 75ml milk
- 280 gm wholemeal hi-protein bread flour (or use 200g wholemeal flour + 150g bread flour)
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 50g salted butter, softened
- Place the pre-fermented sponge dough into a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for main dough except butter.
- Knead till it forms a dough.
- Then add in butter and knead till smooth and elastic.
- Cover and leave to rest for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- After it has doubled its volume, punch down the dough and transfer to a working surface.
- Knead a little.
- Roll out into a rectangle shape.
- Then roll into log and place into the greased loaf tin.
- Leave the loaf to rest for 45 minutes or until it doubles in volume.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes.
- Remove and leave on wire rack to cool.