Continuing my quest for healthy wholesome recipes, I baked this whole grain bread. Delicious and hearty with no sugar added. It was a winner!
Whole grain bread: (yields 2 loaf)
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup pearl millet
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup cranberry, chopped
- 1/2 cup prunes, chopped
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup warm water. Add yeast and stir until it dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes for the mixture to bubble.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, quinoa, wheat germ, pearl millet, sunflower seeds, cranberry, prunes, rolled oats and salt.
- Gradually add the water and mix until the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry and will not come together, add small amounts of water until it does. Conversely, if the dough is too sticky, add flour until it becomes workable.
- Knead the dough for few minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and knead it. Allow it to proof for another 30 minutes before turning out the dough onto a clean surface.
- Shape the dough into a log or cylinder, trying to keep the dough an even thickness. Place the dough into a loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and allow it to rise for another 30-40 minutes.
- When you are just about to put the loaf inside, reduce oven temperature to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool down before slicing.