Nothing beats the smell of a freshly baked bread wafting through the house. Plus the versatility of bread baking is so vast – you can add anything you want to the bread you bake. Baking bread from scratch ensures that I include healthy and fresh ingredients in place of artificial flavorings or other additives that are common in store-bought ones. I am now addicted to baking bread which I serve for breakfast everyday. Alfred and Svadhi are avid fans of bread. So I find myself baking a fresh loaf every alternate days. It gives me immense pleasure seeing them devour the bread.
Ingredients: (makes one 9-inch loaf pan)
- 150 gm bread flour
- 150 gm hi-protein wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 gm butter
- 170 ml warm water
- Coffee chips (plus some for decorating)
- Dissolve instant yeast and sugar in a 2 tablespoon lukewarm water.
- Place bread flour, wholemeal flour and salt in a mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and mix well.
- Add water and mix thoroughly.
- Knead to form a smooth ball.
- Place the dough in a big mixing bowl, and cover it with cling wrap. Let is rise till double in bulk, takes about 1 hour.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl. Knock out the dough and give a few light kneading.
- Gently flatten the dough and shape into a smooth ball. Place dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a damp towel or plastic bag and let it proof for another 30mins. (Note that this time round, instead of cling wrap, you should cover the dough with a damp cloth, as the cling wrap may stick onto the dough and prevent it from rising properly).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Dust with some wholemeal flour and make 2 long slits on the dough with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.